Sunday, February 10, 2013

CBR V, Review 2: "CInderella's Secret Diary: Lost" by Ron Vitale

We in the CBR were offered the chance to read and review two books by Ron Vitale, "Cinderella's Secret Diary: Lost" and "Stolen: Cinderella's Secret Diary".
Since I never turn up my nose at anything free, I read the first one, with the understanding I had to be honest, and place it in the "priority read" pile.

I did both.

This novel has a decent story line, moving Cinderella from the typical Renaissance or Medieval princess time frame in France, to Regency and Napoleonic England. Cinderella and the Prince aren't having their happily ever after, with him ignoring her for long periods of time. This is what her diary is about, how lonely she's feeling, writing to her fairy godmother for help, and telling us about her lot in life.

We find out eventually she has magic powers (well, one really) and what she does with it, people she meets, and how she pines for someone who she can't have, and then she has to save everyone with her one magical power.

It's a stretch of a retelling of the Cinderella story that most people are familiar with. I read it through to the end, but I didn't feel like I knew Cinderella, or could appreciate her problems or issues; the way she was presented made her seem shallow and selfish.

I would give it two stars, an OK book.

No comments:

Post a Comment